Friday, July 27, 2007

Time Savers and Time Wasters

Anyone who's been using the internet for a while knows that it can easily suck up your time. (I picture a greedy green monster!) It's certainly been that way for me. While I enjoy the new ways to keep up with friends through e-mail, instant messaging, blogs and the like, it is a struggle sometimes to keep priorities straight. I often feel like I've received an "information overload"!

Here's something that has helped: Bloglines. By setting up an account with this feed reader, I have cut down my wasted time considerably. Now I don't have to try to remember whose blog I read last. I also won't miss important posts, because Bloglines notifies me whenever a site is updated. If I don't have time to read it right then, I can save it for later. If you haven't already found a similar service, I highly recommend checking this one out. It's very simple to use, and you don't have to provide any personal info apart from an e-mail address. Read more here.

After resisting the urge for quite a while, I finally set up a Facebook account. This is one of those things that can be a great tool or a great time waster. Here's what I like about it: no pressure to write long personal updates, easy contact with friends, ability to control my privacy, and photo sharing---all in one place. It's handy for all these things, however I must mention that browsing groups entails a certain amount of risk. I was disappointed to see a fair amount of foul language displayed. But most of that is easily avoided by staying in your own "circle" of contacts.

No comments: