Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 Reading Goals

Happy New Year! (I just had the pleasure of hearing Big Ben bong, via Classic FM)

Here's another list, this time of the books I hope to read within the next year. I've been making these lists for several years now, and have found them to be a fun way to make sure I get some "serious" books in my otherwise somewhat random literary diet.

Something by Dickens (probably Nicholas Nickelby)

Does anyone out there like Dickens?

A Shakespeare play (most likely an historical one)

Any recommendations?

The Silmarillion by Tolkien

I tried this once and gave up. It won't happen again!

Paradise Lost by Milton

There are so many major poetical works to study. I think I'll begin with this.

1984 by George Orwell Finished 2/08

I don't expect to "enjoy" this necessarily; I plan on reading it because of its far-reaching influence on later literature.

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

So many rave about this; I must read it for myself.

The Inklings by Humphrey Carpenter Finished 6/08

His bio of Tolkien is superb; I expect no less from this! I bought it in London for way-too-much (no, I will not tell!)...but I really wanted it. I WILL splurge on a book once in a blue moon... ;)

Unpopular Opinions by Dorothy L. Sayers

Probably my best buy from my book search while in England. I found a first edition on a charity shop shelf for half-price!

3 comments:

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

I like Dickens! If you like history at all, A Tale of Two Cities could be a good place to start. It has romance, politics, drama, action, etc.

Lydia H. said...

I have read "Merchant of Venice" by Shakespeare. I really liked it. My highschool lit. instructor made it come to life. We had to come up with acting out and filming a scene from the play. It was lots of fun. I got to play Portia. :) I have seen two Shakespeare productions live: King Lear and cant'remember the other. I think it was maybe Midnight Summer's Dream or whatever it's called?

Looks like you have some terrific reading goals. You will have to let me know what you think of "Orthodoxy." I am curious about that one and want to read it sometime.

And I second "Kat with a K" suggestion about "Tale of Two Cities." I read that one too in highschool and enjoyed it quite a bit even if it was somewhat morbid in places. It has some classic lines and descriptions: "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

Enjoy your 2008 reading selections!

Kara Dekker said...

I just might have to check out "Tale of Two Cities", then.
Thanks for the comments, ladies!