Monday, November 17, 2008

List of 26: Books I Didn't Like

When I read a book, I write it down in my reading log, and rate it according to a color system. These books got yellow--the lowest possible rating. It's interesting to note that half of the books on the following list were read at least ten years ago. There are several possible conclusions I can come to from this: (a) I read a lot of bad books when I was younger. (b) My pre-reading weeding system is better now (c) I'm not so picky anymore (d) There are more bad children's books that adult books. Probably none of these is true. And if I was up on my logic, I'd know what fallacies these represent!

Anyway, I've listed these in reverse chronological order. (most recently read first) I've tried to note why I didn't like a book, but after number 13 I simply couldn't remember.

  1. Reading Like a Writer --Francine Prose (Valuable insights mixed with poor choice of examples. Ugh! These moderns!)
  2. And There Were None --Agatha Christie (see my review)
  3. The Moving Finger --Agatha Christie (mystery unfair to reader; uncalled for appearance of Miss Marple 3/4 of the way through)
  4. Somebody is Going to Die if Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet --Gayden Metcalfe (reads like a gossip column)
  5. Thrones and Dominations --Sayers/Jill Paton Walsh (see my review)
  6. Manners --Kate Spade
  7. A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove --Laura Schenone (Bleak feminist outlook.)
  8. Do Butlers Burgle Banks? --P.G. Wodehouse (it's awful when a good writer is evidently trying too hard!)
  9. Style --Kate Spade
  10. The Revenge of Anguished English --Richard Lederer (I actually got quite a few laughs from this. But the off-colour humour and profanity spoiled the book for me. That stuff stays in my head.)
  11. There and Back Again --Sean Astin (profanity)
  12. Biffen's Millions --P.G. Wodehouse (another title that just doesn't compare to his best stuff)
  13. A Matter Of Trust --T. Elizabeth Renich (poor writing and choice of subject matter considering age of target readership)
  14. Smeller Martin --Robert Lawson
  15. Belles on Their Toes --Frank Gilbreth
  16. I Discover Columbus --Robert Lawson
  17. Texas Tomboy --Lois Lenski
  18. A Picture of Freedom --P.C. McKissack
  19. Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie --Kristina Gregory
  20. A Daughter of Zion --Bodie Thoene
  21. Struggling Upward and Other Works --Horatio Alger
  22. The Glorious Conspiracy --Joanne Williamson
  23. Mandie and Joe's Christmas Surprise --Lois Gladys Leppard
  24. The Fabulous Flight --Robert Lawson
  25. Paddington Takes to T.V. --Michael Bond
  26. I Will Adventure --Elizabeth Janet Gray

No comments: