Monday, November 17, 2008

List of 26: Favorite Poems

I've been somewhat obsessed with the number 26 recently. Why, I prefer to leave a mystery. Although, anyone who has known me for a while probably won't find it that hard to guess. ;) Anyway, I've been amusing myself by adjusting various lists to this particular length. Since I don't have any new book reviews, I'll post a few of these instead. Enjoy. Or not. Depending on whether you happen to be list lover like myself.

These poems are not in any particular order. If I've mentioned a favorite of yours, please comment. If I've left yours out, share it. Maybe it will turn into a new favorite! I've purposely left out hymns, because those make up a whole list in themselves.

  1. Alter? --Emily Dickinson
  2. I sing to use the waiting--E. Dickinson
  3. The Thousandth Man --Rudyard Kipling
  4. Given in marriage --E. Dickinson
  5. He ate and drank --E. Dickinson
  6. Sonnet 116 --Shakespeare
  7. Afterflakes --Robert Frost
  8. Jabberwocky --Lewis Carroll
  9. Rime of the Ancient Mariner --Coleridge
  10. Sonnet VI --Elizabeth Browning
  11. Sonnet XXVI --E. Browning
  12. Halfway Down --A.A. Milne
  13. There is no frigate --E. Dickinson
  14. Eletelephony --L. Richards
  15. Father William --Lewis Carroll
  16. My Love --James Russell Lowell
  17. Sonnet 18 --Shakespeare
  18. The Village Blacksmith --Longfellow
  19. The Walrus and the Carpenter --Lewis Carroll
  20. Little Orphant Annie --James Whitcomb Riley
  21. When the Frost is on the Punkin --J.W. Riley
  22. I Never Saw a Moor --E. Dickinson
  23. It Dropped so Low in my Regard --E. Dickinson
  24. At Least to Pray is Left --E. Dickinson
  25. That I Did Always Love --E. Dickinson
  26. Sneezles --A.A. Milne
Maybe this should have been the "Emily Dickinson (and a few others)" list. Must be pretty obvious who my favorite poet is!

5 comments:

Lydia H. said...

Neat list of poems. I am not much of a poet affeciendo so many of these were new to me.

Just for fun, guess which poem I had to look up first from your list? ;)

I can still recall a couple of poems from when I was in grade school. One was called "The Wise Old Owl."

There was a old owl who lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard
Why can't we all be like that bird?


Thanks for sharing your poems. Hope you have a beautiful b-day tomorrow. ;)

John Dekker said...

And you read your Emily Dickinson,
And I my Robert Frost,
And we note our place with bookmarkers
That measure what weve lost.


- Simon and Garfunkel, "The Dangling Conversation"

By the way, 26 nestles between 25 and 27, which makes it the only number between a square and a cube.

Charles Siboto said...

You are my favourite person today. I love about 80% of those poems.

Here's a list of what I like off the top of my head:

To his Coy Mistress (Andrew Marvell)
The Flea (John Donne)
The Canonization (John Donne)
A Valediction Forbidding Mourning (John Donne)
"The Soul Selects Her Own Society" (Emily Dickinson)
Sonnet 31 (Sir Philip Sidney)
Sonnet 39 (Sir Philip Sidney)

Kara Dekker said...

Lydia,

Jabberwocky? Thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

John,

Now I'm going to have to see if my dad knows that song. The only S&G I'm familiar with has the phrase "sound of silence"

Charles,

I'm curious about the 20%. Not wanting to start a poem fight or anything...just curious. :) I'll look up the ones you mention later...I think I've read a couple of them. But can't tell by the titles.

K.

Charles Siboto said...

The 20% I've not read yet ;)