Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Calls to prayer

In light of the recent discussion on Getting Serious About Getting Married, I was interested to find two relevant calls to prayer.

The first is from a pastor, who calls fathers to fast and pray for their daughters on this day, that “God would bless them mightily by providing marriages for them for the glory of Jesus Christ.”

The second is from a single young woman, who encourages young women to pray as well:

“Dear sisters, I feel too many of us are sitting idly by, contentedly refining our homemaking skills while completely oblivious to the spiritual battles the young men of this generation are facing. Contentment is needful. Patient waiting on the Lord is needful. But it's not enough! If you honestly believe the Lord has called you to marriage and a godly family, there is a battle to be won right now on your knees for your future husband and home. The statistics of godly young men should be enough to show us that Satan is trying to destroy the home before it's even begun. Are we neglecting earnest interceedings for that man we will call our own someday? Are we sitting contentedly by in our single life, while our future husbands fight desperately against the countless things that seek to tear down their fervency for God?”


We are called to be “constant in prayer”. (Romans 12:12) Let us pray that God will raise up a generation of young men, exemplary in their youth (1 Timothy 4:12), sober-minded (Titus 2:6-8), and strong in the Lord (1 John 2:14).

2 comments:

Benjamin Graber said...

Are we sitting contentedly by in our single life, while our future husbands fight desperately against the countless things that seek to tear down their fervency for God?

I don't know if your blog here is directed only at young women; if it is, please forgive me - but I wanted to let you know that I was encouraged by both this and your last post on preparing for marriage.
I had given up most of my hopes of getting married some day, but your last post was a helpful reminder that the desire to get married is a God-given desire, and God means for most of us to get married, and He created us to need a helpmeet ("It is not good for man to be alone").
And the thought that someone that God is preparing to be my wife is praying for me is very encouraging, in spite of the things that I fight which seek to tear down my fervency for God.
May God bless you as you continue to follow after Him.
Ben

Kara Dekker said...

Mrs. Maken,

Thank you for your comment. I am very thankful for your courage in writing such a potentially controversial book. The call to a return to a biblical view of marriage/singleness is greatly needed. Your book was a great blessing to my family and I.

Mr. Graber,

My blog is intended for any who care to read it. I am so glad that the latest posts have been an encouragement to you!